Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Nightmares of The Workplace

This morning I woke from a frightful dream
It felt so real that I truly believed that it had happened.

I was prepared to pack my things and move into my parents house.
The thought of job-hunting terrified me.

It seemed a normal day.
But when I arrived at work..
I was called into speak with my boss.
She told me that they "just had to let me go."
I was devastated.
The best job of my life.
It was over.

My depression soon vanished.
I remembered a quote from one of my favorite books,

“Getting fired is the best thing that could happen to any of us. 
That way, we’d quit treading water and do something with our lives.”

I was free.
Simply so.
I went to pick up my last paycheck
and thanked my manager
for her part in my liberation.

As I slowly gained consciousness
I smiled.
I didn't have to go to work 
because I no longer had a job.
Then I realized that it had only been
successions of images, ideas, emotions, ands sensations
that had occurred involuntarily in my mind
during my sleep cycle.


1 comment:

  1. It's so ironic that you would post this. I had a dream a few weeks ago about being fired. It was a disconcerting dream to be sure!

    ReplyDelete