Friday, October 3, 2014

Easier to Breathe (The Orchard House)

To find a place in which time passes so fast
that you wish it would stop altogether
A place where you smile more often
and find it easier to breathe

To have a place such as this is a blessing
To realize it before you leave it behind is even more of a blessing

These past few days I have spent my time
fixing my father's bicycle
listening to stories at my grandparents feet
canning juice from grapes that my folks grew and harvested
playing late night games of scrabble
setting aside bushels of walnuts to dry for food during the winter months
sitting on the porch and watching storms roll in
cooking a three course meal with mother
covering the woodpile to shelter it from the ever-approaching winter
and fixing my fishing rod

The country is where I return to
when my job in the city is done for the week
This orchard house is where I find peace

A simple, beautiful life
is all that I hope for now-a-days

Amidst the seasons
where I can see the stars shine brightly
Walk into the wilderness
and ponder existence

No comments:

Post a Comment