Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Isle Royale Journals

First night in the wilderness
Date: July 17th, 2015
I currently hear: The occasional sound of a loon call
Location: Isle Royale, Michigan

We rode across the largest great lake this morning.
Fog shrouded us and our vessel for the entire 8 hour journey.
We found a suitable site on the island and made our way back to the harbor to have our last prepared meal before heading deep into the Island's vastness.
When we returned to our tent, a few food items were outside of the tent and ripped apart.
A squirrel that we later named Chia (because of his choice selection from my bag) had torn two holes in our brand new tent (purchased for us at Christmas by my fiancee's parents).
Chia had somehow gotten into my ALICE pack, unsnapping the button straps in the front pocket.
I was hoping beforehand that we had possibly skipped out on the curse this time.
It seems that on every adventure we go on, the first night always holds some misfortune that is never matched later on.
I lost my mind for a little bit after our discovery.
We ended up relocating camp after continuous threats to our foods safety from Chia.
We watched the sunset through our mosquito nets on the other end of the peninsula.
Benjamin and I talked of loneliness and love.

----------------

Second night in the wilderness
Date: July 18th, 2015
I currently hear: The constant ringing of a buoy bell at a nearby shipwreck
Location: Rustic Adirondack shelter

A total of 11.2 miles were covered today, over difficult terrain.
We found a cave off of the main trail and explored it.
We also hiked to the Fire Tower from the top of Mount Ojibway.
The view of the entire island was magnificent.
Dinner was chicken fried rice, biscuits, and hot chocolate all made over our new MSR stove.
We've seen tracks and heard activity but have not actually seen any moose yet.
There are estimated to be 1250+ currently roaming the island.
I found several patches of wild blueberries.
We ate them by the handful.
I also ate a similar looking berry.
I'm not dead yet..

-------------

Third day in the wild
Date: July 19th, 2015
I currently hear: The wind blowing in the birch trees
Location: Lake Richie, "base camp"

Last night my brother and I played cards.
We also smoked some cigarettes that had been left as a gift to future campers.
I hadn't smoked for many years and don't miss it at all.
We've set ourselves up at a great camp overlooking Lake Richie,
which we hope to be fishing in later this evening.
We've finally gotten away from most of the other campers/hikers.

----------------

Fourth day
Date: July 20th, 2015
I currently hear: A speed boat on the lake and cicadas chirping
Location: 3 Mile Campground, 3-sided shelter

Last night we fished for a long while.
I kept getting close calls.
Once I had a large pike hooked.
It bit the line in two.
We kept casting our line out until the sun set.
Sleep was difficult for me.
My finger was throbbing with pain for some reason.
The wind was blowing and I could hear the wolves howling nearby.
The duct tape covering Chia's hole had fallen off in the night.
My head lamps lit up dozens of mosquitos that had gotten in through the night.
I eventually decided that sleep was not going to come to me.
I made my way down to the lakeshore where I prayed and meditated
as the early morning light began to surround me.
I got Benjamin up to witness the glory of the daybreak.
We then gave fishing another go.
This time I attached a steel lead between my line and lure.
I hooked another pike soon enough and it was quite a struggle between the two of us.
He dove under and around a submerged, fallen tree.
This took the control away from me.
He then managed to sever the line further up, above the lead.
No fish, two of the only lures that they were biting were gone.
So we had oatmeal for breakfast.
We then took off on an ambitious hike all the way to 3 Mile Campground.
We saw wolf tracks on the way back.
If all goes well we will be leaving Rock Harbor at 9 A.M. in the morning, the day after tomorrow.






No comments:

Post a Comment