Monday, July 2, 2012

i guess i'm terrified

that i'll be without 
a hand to hold tight, 
without any lips 
to kiss goodnight. 
or anybody to stand with outside 

underneath the flickering lights


i'll dance with strangers 
in the dark all night, 
our bodies so close, 
swaying back and forth to all the slow songs we know by heart.

my lips to her ear, 
i'll whisper so soft, 
"I love you, i need you, follow me."

i'll lead her away from all she knows, 
as far as morality goes. 
through exit doors 
and out onto an open, moonlit dancefloor. 
a children's playground..
we'll dance, 
jump a few fences, 
and i'll think that i love her. 

with only whispers and no sound, 
our breathing gets louder and i leave her behind...

left in the coldness, the darkness. shocked, shivering...


i run, 
jump fences, 
and dance around the playground 
backwards as if being rewound..

i slip through the exit door
and see the most 
beautiful stranger 
standing next to me. 
I slip my arms around her...
our bodies so close, 
swaying back and forth 
to all the slow songs we know by heart. 

i guess i'm terrified.




©August Wylder, 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment