Friday, July 13, 2012

Transit and Labor

I am mobile again, thanks to the T.O.A.D. Bicycle Cooperative.

http://toadbike.tumblr.com/



Now I can get to work faster than by car. Bicycles should be the chosen mode of transport through any downtown city, in my humble opinion. No money wasted on gasoline, I'm not destroying the environment, and it's a cardio workout all-in-one!

Less than a year and I'll be free of a system and society that I consider iniquitous. The best part of it is that for the time-being I'm not much of a contributing factor to any of the institutions that I resist. My only place of employment is the local food cooperative. I couldn't think of a better fit for myself. Here's what makes us, the People's Food Co-op of Kalamazoo, different:



  • We strive to provide fresh, organic, and whole foods, offering our community healthy choices for a variety of dietary needs.
  • We purchase locally grown and produced goods, helping to keep local funds cycling back into our economy.
  • We participate in and support our local farmers markets, including the 100 Mile Market, the Kalamazoo Farmers Market (on Bank St), and the Kalamazoo Foods Market.  
  • We help provide access to food assistance programs (SNAP benefits) both at the store and at several local farmers’ markets. Everyone should be able to eat healthy, delicious, and local food.
  • We provide educational opportunities for our community related to food and food systems (such as cooking classes, tabling, speaking engagements, hosting events at the store and in the community).
  • We work together with other organizations. As we are able, we provide sponsorships and donations to organizations and events that support our global ends, making our community a better place.

I don't believe that there is any more suitable place for me to spend the rest of my time before my travels are set in motion. 





1 comment: